Thursday, July 9, 2015

How This Trip Came to Be

Hi there!

  In January of 2016, I will be embarking on a six-month mission Immersion trip.  On this trip, my teammates and I will be traveling to New York City, Haiti, Jamaica, and Belize after some training in Indiana.  I'm here now to tell you the story of how this came about.

  If you know me at all, you will know that I am a planner.  I am a list-making, color-coding, alphabetizing, planning fanatic.  I like to have a plan in order for everything.  This past year, I was finishing up my Bachelors degree in Organizational Leadership.  But I had no idea what I'd be doing after graduation.  There were a couple things I wanted to, like move up at Target, go on a missions trip, travel for leisure, etc., but I didn't see any doors opening right away for any of them.  In 2013, I had taken a mission trip with my church to Haiti and it changed my whole perspective on life and I fell in love with the people of Haiti, as well as the country and culture.  I wanted to return...but when?  I had no idea (and I didn't like that).




  Towards the middle of the school year, I began looking at summer internships with ministries in Haiti.  I read, thought, and prayed about many of them, and even applied to some, but never felt at peace about any of them.  In February, I came across Experience Missions, an organization which organize short-term mission trips, internships, and Immersion trips, the latter of which is what I'm doing.  According to EM, "Immersion challenges team members to put themselves second, to be vulnerable and uncomfortable for the sake of others."  Immersion is program that allows young adults to gain cross-cultural experience with a focus in ministry.  As I read about it, I felt immediately that this was what God wanted me to do.  EM focuses on being rather than doing, and I'm incredibly excited about that aspect.  I inquired about the Caribbean Immersion for this summer, but quickly realized that I wouldn't be able to go with my schedule.  Disappointed, I moved on to finish school, hoping God would lead me in His timing to where He wanted me to go.

  Fast forward to the beginning of June, I was a college graduate, had transferred job locations, and was now a supervisor at Target.  I began looking at grad schools, because despite my exclamation I had made earlier in the year ("I am NEVER going back to school!"), I realized I had an unquenchable thirst for learning, and needed a goal to work towards.  As I was researching, I remembered that Immersion program from months prior, and decided to take a second look.  Taking time to re-read everything about the program, I felt just as excited, just as at-peace, and just as called as in February.  So I applied and was accepted.  So now, in about six months, I'll be traveling to Indiana to begin a six-month journey.

  I would be grateful if you joined my support team!  I will need prayer in the coming months, as well as while I’m away.  Knowing I have friends and family supporting me will be a huge encouragement when I’m gone for six months.  If you're interested in supporting my trip financially, there will be more information that will be coming, so keep your eye out!  

  Thank you in advance for your support and prayer!  This blog will include any new updates before the trip, as well as while I'm gone.  

  In Christ,



No comments:

Post a Comment