Friday, January 29, 2016

I'm Ready

  Today was our last day serving with the Salvation Army here in New York City.  Although I will miss serving in the soup kitchen and my 3rd graders, I am excited to embark on the next phase of our adventure!

  I'll be honest, this last week, I was so nervous to leave for Haiti.  I shared those fears with my dad, who reminded me that returning to Haiti is how I came across this Immersion trip in the first place.  Since returning from Haiti in 2013, I've wanted to return.  It was his reminder and encouragement from my team leaders and teammates that had turned my nerves into excitement. And that excitement has since developed into readiness.  Readiness to leave the U.S.  Readiness to "settle" into a place for longer than just two weeks.  I am ready.  I'm ready to break down language barriers.  I'm ready to live like locals.  I am ready to be immersed.

  My mom asked me the other day if I wanted her to buy international data for my phone.  I told her no.  Not because I don't want to talk to her.  Because that is completely opposite of the truth.  But being unplugged is part of the incredible experience that I signed up for.  Unplugging will hopefully allow additional room for growth.  And, if I were to talk to my friends and family every day, I'd have nothing to tell about when I got back.  Don't get me wrong, not knowing the next time I'll get to talk to my family and friends will be extremely difficult.  And yes, I've already shed tears over it.  But it's a part of growing up.  And it's a part of this crazy adventure God is taking me on. 

  Highlights of this week: 
    • Two of the third grade girls I was tutoring wrote me a song.  It was adorable and sweet and made my day. 

          Photo credit: Mal Henderson

    • Earlier this week, Mal, one of our leaders, took us girls on a date.  The night prior, we all watched the 2001 love story, Serendipity.  On Tuesday, we are at  the restaurant Serendipity 3 in Brooklyn, which is the location the movie revolves around.  It was amazing, intentional girl-time that I believe is very important on a trip like this.  


     • Last weekend, we had a team meeting where we shared our hearts as we had faced our first bout of conflict the week prior.  Although extremely challenging, it was so necessary to share with one another where we felt hurt in the past week.  We grew as a team, and we were able to immediately put into practice what we'd discussed.  

          Photo Credit: Mal Henderson

     • I have been sick this week.  I spent all of Thursday in bed, unable to help my team serve in both the soup kitchen and with the after-school program.  Was being sick a highlight?  No, of course not.   However, throughout the day, many of my teammates checked up on me several times, asking how I was doing and if I needed anything.  Since I didn't have my own bed to sleep in, nor my mom to be there, having my teammates there for me was the next best thing. 

  So, the next time you hear from me, I will be in Haiti.  I will say now, though, that I have no idea how often I'll have Internet access.  Below are some specific prayer requests as we make this transition. 

   1. Pray for those on both the Caribbean team and Africa team who are still sick.  That we would heal quickly and feel 100% by Monday, when we all head out. 

    2. Pray for the adjustment into our host families.  That they would be smooth and that we would develop deep, rich relationships with them.

    3. Pray for my team that we would continue to grow closer together and face conflict head on, despite how challenging it can be. 

  Thank you all. 
  In Christ,

    Sierra

2 comments:

  1. My dear Sierra, I'll be praying for your team, their health, your traveland the immersion into the Haitian culture! Love and miss you! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sierra. So good to know you through your profile on the blogger and the blog post. I am so blessed to stop by your blog post to see your pictures with your friends as well as to know about your missions trip to different countries in next six months. I would be so glad to see the name of India in the list of countries you will be going on a missions trip. I will be praying for God to make provisions for your financial needs and journey mercies to different countries and good health during your stay in those countries. I am so blessed and feel so privileged and honored to get connected with you because of who you are in the Lord Jesus Christ. I am a Pastor from Mumbai, India and love to get connected with the people of God around the world to be encouraged, strengthen and praying for one another. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 36 yrs in this great city of Mumbai a city with a great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We also encourage young and the adults to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have you come to Mumbai with your friends in the next summer of 2017 or we would love to have you come even during the month of December 2016. I am sure you will have a life changing experience. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. God's richest blessings on you, your family and friends. Also wishing you a blessed and a Christ centered New year.

    ReplyDelete